Mixed Media Abstract:
Discovering Wabi Sabi
5-Week Online Class | Thursdays Sept. 3-Oct. 1
2:00-3:30 pm (PDT) / 5:00-6:30 pm Eastern
Scroll down to register
Wabi Sabi is a Japanese philosophy that finds beauty in what is naturally imperfect, aged and weathered. In this class, you will create multiple abstract pieces incorporating different mixed media techniques, acrylic applications, textiles and found objects. Recreate surfaces that have an unrefined weathered feel. Create your own collage materials through spontaneous painting and tearing. By using a limited color palette, give your artwork a sense of harmony and simplicity. Combining all these elements with basic abstract principles such as composition, texture and balance to create artwork that captures the feel of Wabi Sabi. Prior experience working with acrylic paints is recommended. Color mixing knowledge a plus (A basic color mixing lesson will be covered for beginners.) Adults 18+
LIVE on Zoom (requires a computer, tablet or smart phone with a camera enabled).
New to using Zoom? I will be offering a warm up session a few days before the class begins to help you get familiar with the process of how it all works, so you can feel comfortable taking a class online (To be announced).
You can also watch this quick video on how to join a meeting/classroom: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-Joining-a-Meeting
New to using Zoom?
Here is a quick video on how to join the classroom
Do you feel overwhelmed by the thought of using Zoom? Don’t have a computer with video & audio? Or you just would prefer not to attend an online class live?
No worries. I realize that the whole tech stuff can be a huge learning curve for many and can be overwhelming. It’s more important to me that this class is available to everyone on different levels, so you have the following Non-Zoomer Options to take this class.
Audio Only: You can attend the class LIVE without having to be on video, but you have the ability to ask me questions through audio only. You also have access to send me instant messages in Zoom.
Watch Only: You can attend the class LIVE without video & audio, but still have the ability to view the class through watch only. You also have access to send me instant messages in Zoom if you have any questions.
Email Recordings: You don’t need to attend any of the Zoom classes LIVE, but instead you have the option to take the class by watching the recordings that will be emailed to you after each weekly class has ended. You will receive all the same PDFs of weekly lessons and instructions. You will also be able to email me with any questions about the project and techniques. With this option, since you also receive the Zoom Classroom link weekly, you will have the freedom to join the classes LIVE if you ever change your mind. Recordings will be available for viewing for the duration of the class only.
Materials you will need:
(Upon registration I will send a more detailed materials list break down per week to give you time to order materials online if needed)
- Acrylic Paint (Variety of your favorite colors, black, white, raw umber, unbleached titanium & yellow oxide (or yellow ocher). Liquitex Basics is perfectly sufficient
- Gesso (Liquitex Basics)
- 9 x 12 in. Canson XL Mix Media Pad / 98 lb. or less
- Paint brushes (variety of sizes & styles, doesn’t have to be expensive brushes)
- Citra Solv Natural Cleaner and Degreaser Concentrate Valencia Orange, 8 fl. oz
- Variety of mark making tools (Sea sponges, credit card, putty spreader, palette knives, old worn out paint brush, string, branches, leaves, etc)
- Painting palette (butcher tray or white plastic disposable plates)
- Paper towels for drying paint brushes & sea sponges.
- Acrylic Modeling Paste (Liquitex, Blick brand or any other brand)
- Cheesecloth (small package)
- Acrylic Matte Medium, Mod Podge (Matte) OR Matte Decoupage
- Folkart Crackle Medium (2 oz. bottle)
- One-Step-Crackle (DecoArt)
- Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate OR E6000 (For adhering found objects)
- Sea Sponges (Medium)
- (2) National Geographic Magazines (1980s – 2000s)
- (4) 8 x 8 in. (or 8 x 10 in.) Pre-primed MDF art panels OR equivalent
- (2) 12 x 12 in. or 12 x 16 in. (or any preferred size) Pre-primed MDF Art Panels
OR Cradle Wood Panels
OR Canvases (Gallery wrapped)
- Muslin Fabric 12 x 12 in. square or Cotton Quilting Fabric
- 140 lb. Watercolor cut to 6 x 6 in. square
If you have any questions about materials or substitutes, contact me directly and I would be happy to answer any questions
Yes, I would like to enroll | Tuition $85
Online workshop/class Policy/Refund: This class is not confirmed unless a minimum of 5 attendees sign-up. A full refund is provided for cancellations made up to 4 days before online class begins. If cancellation is received after 4 days prior to the starting date, a $20 processing fee will be retained. We reserve the right to cancel or reschedule a workshop/class if required. Should this happen, you would have the choice of a refund or transferred to a future workshop/class of your choice.