Mixed Media Abstract:
Discovering Wabi Sabi
6-Week Online Class | 1 1/2 hr. each class
Wabi Sabi is a Japanese philosophy that finds beauty in what is naturally imperfect, aged and weathered. In this class, you will create multiple abstract pieces incorporating different mixed media techniques, acrylic applications, textiles and found objects. Recreate surfaces that have an unrefined weathered feel. Create your own collage materials through spontaneous painting and tearing. By using a limited color palette, give your artwork a sense of harmony and simplicity. Combining all these elements with basic abstract principles such as composition, texture and balance to create artwork that captures the feel of Wabi Sabi. Prior experience working with acrylic paints is recommended. Color mixing knowledge a plus (A basic color mixing lesson will be covered for beginners.) Adults 18+
LIVE on Zoom (requires a computer, tablet or smart phone with a camera enabled).
New to using Zoom? I will be offering a warm up session a few days before the class begins to help you get familiar with the process of how it all works, so you can feel comfortable taking a class online (To be announced).
New to using Zoom?
Here is a quick video on how to join the classroom
Do you feel overwhelmed by the thought of using Zoom? Don’t have a computer with video & audio? Or you just would prefer not to attend an online class live?
No worries. I realize that the whole tech stuff can be a huge learning curve for many and can be overwhelming. It’s more important to me that this class is available to everyone on different levels, so you have a Non-Zoomer Option to take this class.
Email Recordings: You don’t need to attend any of the Zoom classes LIVE, but instead you have the option to take the class by watching the recordings that will be emailed to you after each class has ended. You will receive all the same PDFs of lessons and instructions. You will also be able to email me with any questions about the project and techniques. Recordings will be available for viewing online for the duration of the class, plus a week after the last class has ended.
“ I participated in Lisa’s Wabi Sabi class as a “Non-Zoomer” and for me it couldn’t have been more successful. I work from home in the company of two noisy dogs. Not a good prescription for a Zoom class. I found that participating as a Non-Zoomer, more than met my needs. I was able to enjoy each of the classes on my own time and at my own pace.
Materials you will need:
(Upon registration I will send a more detailed materials list break down per week to give you time to order materials online if needed)
- Acrylic Paint (Variety of your favorite colors, black, white, raw umber, unbleached titanium & yellow oxide (or yellow ocher). Liquitex Basics is perfectly sufficient
- Gesso (Liquitex Basics)
- 9 x 12 in. Canson XL Mix Media Pad / 98 lb. or less
- Paint brushes (variety of sizes & styles, doesn’t have to be expensive brushes)
- Variety of mark making tools (Sea sponges, credit card, putty spreader, palette knives, old worn out paint brush, string, branches, leaves, etc)
- Painting palette (butcher tray or white plastic disposable plates)
- Paper towels for drying paint brushes & sea sponges.
- Acrylic Modeling Paste (Liquitex, Blick brand or any other brand)
- Cheesecloth (small package)
- Acrylic Matte Medium, Mod Podge (Matte) OR Matte Decoupage
- Folkart Crackle Medium (2 oz. bottle)
- One-Step-Crackle (DecoArt)
- Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate OR E6000 (For adhering found objects)
- Sea Sponges (Medium)
- (4) 8 x 8 in. (or 8 x 10 in.) Pre-primed MDF art panels OR equivalent
- (2) 12 x 12 in. or 12 x 16 in. (or any preferred size) Pre-primed MDF Art Panels
OR Cradle Wood Panels
OR Canvases (Gallery wrapped)
- Muslin Fabric 12 x 12 in. square or Cotton Quilting Fabric
- 140 lb. Watercolor cut to 6 x 6 in. square
If you have any questions about materials or substitutes, contact me directly and I would be happy to answer any questions